Fried Green Tomatoes
3 or 4 medium size green tomatoes, washed, cored, and sliced (do not peel)
Corn meal, seasoned to taste with salt and
1 cup milk
1. Grease a skillet with cooking oil and heat over medium heat.
2. Spread a thin layer of corn meal on a sheet of foil.
3. Beat the egg into the milk.
4. Dip each tomato in the milk/egg mixture and then roll in the corn meal to give it
a THIN layer of batter.
5. Place the battered tomato slices in the pre-heated skillet. Brown one side, then turn to brown
the other side.
Fried Green Tomatoes #2
Prep Time: 20 minutes
1 (6 oz) pkg. Martha White Cotton Pickin’ Cornbread Mix
5 firm medium green tomatoes, cut
into ½ inch slices
Oil or shortening for frying
Place cornbread mix in shallow pan. Add salt to taste, mix well. Add tomato slices; turn to coat with mixture. In large
skillet, heat ¼ inch oil over medium heat to 350 degrees F. Fry tomato slices, a few at a time, until golden brown on both
sides. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 6 servings
Okra, Corn, and Tomatoes
• 2 cups fresh corn
• one 14-16 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
• 1 small onion, grated
1 Tbs. firmly packed Brown sugar
• 1/2 lb. fresh or frozen okra, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch slices
In heavy saucepan, combine corn, tomatoes with juice, onion, brown sugar, salt, pepper and simmer 2 minutes. Stir in okra
and simmer, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until okra is tender. Yield: Serves 4